Ⅲ.課文篇
Often the big boss wants to know why you have not finished a report or project. This lesson explains a few common excuses you can use to satisfy your boss when you are unsure about an outcome. If the boss asks a question like, "Will you be done by this afternoon?" you should give him/her a clear synonymfor being UNSURE.
通常大老板想知道你為什么沒完成一份報告或一個項目。本課解釋了一些常用的借口,在你對事情的結果不能確定時可以用來應付你的老板。 如果你的老板問你一些諸如“你今天下午能完成嗎?”之類的問題,你可以給他一個和“不能確定”意思相同的答復。
Synonyms for UNSURE“不能確定的”的同義詞:
1) 50/50: "Can you be done by tonight?"
"There is a 50/50 chance."
50%的機會:“你今晚能完成嗎?”
“有50%的可能?!?/p>
2) It could happen: "Will Bobby get here for the meeting in time?""If he tries hard, it could happen."有可能:“鮑勃能及時趕來參加會議嗎?”“如果他盡力而為的話,有可能。”
3) I am not sure: "Can you do some information trading this Friday evening?""At this time I am not sure."我不能確定:“你能在這個星期五晚上做一些信息交易嗎?”“現在很難說?!?/p>
4) Maybe yes, maybe no: "Will you stamp my visa into your lovely country?""Maybe yes, maybe no!"可能會,也可能不會:“您能為我去貴國簽證嗎?”“可能會,也可能不會?!?/p>
5) "Will our company's stocks increase in value?""Maybe, time will tell."“我們公司的股票會升值嗎”“有可能,時間會證明的?!?/p>
Ⅳ.對話篇
Gordon: Miss Molly, will you be done with the stock report by this afternoon?
戈登:莫莉小姐,今天下午以前你能完成這份股票報告嗎?
Molly : Sorry to say I am unsure, time will tell.
莫莉:很遺憾我還不能確定,看時間吧。
Gordon: Well, do your best. I am off to lunch now.
戈登:好吧,你盡力而為吧?,F在我要去吃午飯了。
Molly : Sir, can you pick me up a sandwich before the cafe closes at two o-clock?
莫莉:先生,您能在咖啡店兩點關門之前幫我買一個三明治嗎?
Gordon: There is a 50/50 chance. I won't make it before then, but I will try.
戈登:有五成的可能晚點兒,不過我會盡力。
Molly : Well, do you best.
莫莉:好吧,請盡量幫忙。
Gordon: Oh, did the boss say he would give you a raise?
戈登:噢,老板說過要給你加薪了嗎?
Molly : He said maybe yes, and maybe no.
莫莉:他說有可能會,也有可能不會。
Gordon: What does that mean?
戈登:那是什么意思?
Molly : It means if I work hard this month, it could happen.
莫莉:意思是說,如果我這個月工作努力,就很有可能加薪。
Gordon: Good luck.
戈登:祝你好運。
Molly : Thanks.
莫莉:謝謝。
編輯推薦:
(責任編輯:gx)